Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Not So Fast, tag Ninianne
☽ MERLIN
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 07:39 AM
2000+ • Part Fae/Part Sorcerer • Understanding • Nomad

Merlin made a thoughtful noise, a smile curling along the edges of his lips and steadily growing bigger. "I should hope so," he said, "As great as your confidence is, I worry as to how long it might take. He is a complete beginner when it comes to his magic, something of which I recall only teaching myself." Both Morgana and Viviane had held at least some knowledge when it came to their magic when he had begun to teach them. However, Kayden seemed to lack an understanding of how to even properly use his magic without wasting energy. The first example the youth had shown him of his magic had been small and seemed to tire him out greatly. It seemed as though whatever the boy had tried to teach himself had involved grasping at straws.

He was also faintly aware that there was a difference in teaching oneself and teaching another. Moreover, what he had taught himself had been at a fairly young age and grown with the process of time. If he thought upon it longer, he might have realized it might have also not been the best of comparisons. Merlin had hardly been the most normal of children.

He hummed, nodding in agreement. "Though, I somewhat doubt he requires belief if he is an immortal." From what he had come to learn over time, this was not too unusual. Not all human immortals seemed to require it, though the reason why was something that he could not entirely articulate. Perhaps the reason was something simple, connected to the core of a person. Alternatively, it was entirely possible that some things were simply meant to be a mystery. As much as he believed that there was a logic to many things, he did not believe that there was a logic to all things and some things simply required faith. "That or there is the illusion of it for one reason or another." He could think of a few reasons why it might appear as though one did not require belief. After all, belief normally faded with time, as people continued to live and forgot.

Part of him did hope that Kayden did stay untouched by the harsher parts of the magical world as he had seemed to be so far. He doubted it would last long. After all, Merlin was of the belief that most of those who acquainted themselves with him were normally in danger of being cast into the world he was part of to some degree, whether they liked it or not.

He gave a long pause. "I...do not believe I did much," he said, suddenly feeling just a touch embarrassed by the compliment. It had never occurred to him that he had played a positive role in being present at the beginning of his friend's immortal life.

love, libby
PM
^
☽ NINIANNE TAMESIS
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 07:33 PM
1600 • Lady of the Lake • Justice • Avalon
Lady Archive 779 posts application plotter wanted tracker other

Ninianne nodded at Merlin's response, her smile remained though there was sympathy in her eyes as well. Merlin mentioned that he believed the boy had been immortal for near three years at least. To have gone so long with magic but with little grasp of it could not have been easy. Perhaps if he had been completely ignorant of his powers during that time it would have been manageable, allowing the boy to simply live as a mortal. But magic had a tendency of showing itself sooner or later, whether by choice or not.

"The early stages are never easy," she said softly, looking out over the flowers that grew across the grove. "I wish you both luck and hopefully having someone to guide him will making the learning a little easier, and faster." Magic was always a little different for each individual, certainly if followed certain overarching patterns but the nuances of using and mastering it tended to vary. So it was difficult to say whether Merlin's young apprentice would be able to learn quickly or if there would be many complex aspects for him to grasp, especially while Ninianne only had second hand information about his progress and abilities thus far.

"Most likely he doesn't," she replied. "It would be especially difficult to remain ignorant of his immortality if he were being walked through or ignored regularly. But at least in our youth the idea of magic was more widely accepted as truth- even if mortals had mixed opinions on if it was good or bad. As a girl I was not taught to doubt that magic was out there, he may be faced with the challenge of learning something he has been told is nothing but fantasy."

She looked back at Merlin at his response, a little surprised at first before she realized. Of course he would think what he had done was nothing special. Merlin believed in understanding and in promoting knowledge and he had always had a kind heart, the sort to always do right by others to the best of his ability. It was those very qualities that had led her to give him Excalibur knowing that he would see it into the hands of a worthy king who would bring peace and justice to Albion. So of course teaching a young illiterate water fae to read and telling her of the wider world she had not yet dared to venture into was nothing more or less than he would have done for anyone else. His companionship, the times they spent just talking and enjoying each other's company, it was just part of a friendly personality.

"You were there at a time I thought myself almost completely alone," she said, trying to explain. "You taught me so much and showed such kindness and that alone can mean the world to someone just beginning to understand a wider world. So I'm sure you will be a great help to your new apprentice." She paused a moment, finding that odd feeling she had been trying to ignore bubbling up again as she thought about all she and Merlin had shared. The feeling she was beginning to realize might be more than friendship. But that was ridiculous. There were duties and responsibilities to tend to that both of them needed to focus on. And besides, it was not as if Merlin could see her as anything more than a friend. He'd turned down Viviane's affections! Ninianne hadn't known of many who could do that before her sister had the added benefit of fae charms. "Your friendship has always been something I'm incredibly grateful for."

@MERLIN
PM
^
☽ MERLIN
 Posted: Apr 29 2018, 07:40 PM

Ninianne was correct. Merlin could recall his earliest years vaguely, starting after his mother had saved him from their village had been burned down at, from what he could only presume, had come with the cost of her life. The years that had come after that had been difficult. He had possessed no one to guide him and been forced to live on his own. Magic had been especially hard to learn and he would personally blame his rough environment for how he had come to realize how much potential he had and how he had tried to learn as much as possible. However, Kayden was not a child who had been forced to live in the wilderness. While he couldn't know if he still had parents- though, he found himself unsure about whether that might matter- it was clear he had a stable way of life, far more stable than that of a wizard who had eventually come to be called crazy by those who would cross him in the woods because he had simply been ignorant of the ways of humans.

"I should hope so." He had a feeling it might be. After all, the youth seemed to be lacking in the ideas of control and that he could use sources outside of water he carried. But then he imagined it might have been hard to learn when he had no idea as to where to start and only had sources that were faulty. After all, it was probably not easy for humans to find legitimate resources on magic nowadays.

He nodded in agreement. "That is true," he said, "Only children tend to be taught that magic exists. Those who continue to believe it exists beyond that are relatively small in number or actually possess it themselves." Kayden did not seem to struggle with the idea that things beyond what logic dictated were real existed, something which made him curious as to whether the boy's beliefs had simply changed with the arrival of magic or he had always been a believer. After all, belief in magic beyond magical humans was not particularly common and tended to be something the majority rolled their eyes at. It was almost amusing that he seemed to be a rather popular legend.

For a moment, Merlin was lost for words. He truly didn't think he had done much. Teaching Ninianne to read had not been something he had viewed as a chore and he had always been willing to offer knowledge. It had only been after the consequences of teaching Viviane that he had become more hesitant and it had not been because he had thought it a mistake to teach her. Rather, he had thought himself a poor teacher, considering that none of the apprenticeships he had held had ended well. Morgana had used the knowledge he gave her to start a war and Viviane had attacked him in anger after he refused her affections, affections he had been blind to for years and would have turned down immediately had he recognized them sooner.

He tried to consider what to say, only to realize that a great many of the claims would be lies. A claim that anyone else would have done what he had would be a lie. He had come to realize that over time. He had always been a bit more willing to help others, whether it was a lowly farmer or someone as treacherous as Uther, offering at least the opportunity. It was something he viewed as a slight fault since some of the hatred others held for him had actually come from him helping the wrong people. Saying that he had done what he would have done for anyone else would probably be another lie as well.

"You are...welcome, I suppose," he said, feeling just a touch confused. He had always just thought them friends, people who would always just stay as much. The compliment felt incredibly heavy for such an idea. "I did not know you were that grateful for our friendship. I was just doing what was right." This was true. He would have never been able to forgive himself had he not helped Ninianne. Though, one could argue that he might have helped her more than he had ever needed to.

love, libby
PM
^
☽ NINIANNE TAMESIS
 Posted: May 1 2018, 04:05 PM

Ninianne gave an encouraging smile at Merlin's response. From the sound of it he had his work cut out for him with his young apprentice. Still, just having someone else with more experience in magic usually was a considerable help. She had no way of knowing if he had others with magic around him or not but each individual had their own unique experiences with magic so in many cases having multiple people to learn from or even just offer support and understanding was an even greater help.

"Has he met any others magical beings?" She asked. "Either through you or on his own?"

She nodded when he spoke of only children being encouraged to believe in magic. And in fact it seemed that while belief was eagerly fostered in young children once they passed a certain age they were expected to put that belief aside. Ninianne had seen a fair number of occasions where children were teased for believing just a little longer than their peers or otherwise pressured to stop. "It is interesting, how attitudes towards magic seem to change with every few ages," she said thoughtfully. "Presenting challenges for those tied to magic but also new kinds of advantages." When magic was widely believed in those dependent on belief could easily communicate with mortals as needed and help them in direct ways but at the risk of being faced with those who hated or feared magic and might lash out. Now such threats were few and far between, in a way making them safer so long as there story was still told- even if just as a story- but also requiring more creative methods of interacting with non-believers.

"I know," Ninianne replied with a gentle smile when Merlin explained he simply did what he believed was right. "The world would be a better place indeed if everyone strove to do the right thing whenever they can but just because it is what should be done does not mean it can't be appreciated." Ninianne's role was to serve justice in all its forms and, as she saw it, that meant giving recognition and appreciation when people did the fair and just thing. It would be a terribly harsh world if justice only meant punishing those who failed to uphold it without ever commending those who did right.

@MERLIN
PM
^
☽ MERLIN
 Posted: May 6 2018, 11:55 PM

Merlin's brow furrowed. "Well, he met Kay," he said dryly, not even sure if that counted. While the knight had access to magic, it was very latent and not the most powerful he had seen. "He was also almost eaten by...some serpentine being, probably would have been had I not arrived when I did. I wouldn't be surprised if it had been one of Pitch Black's allies." He suddenly looked incredibly tired. "I think he also came across someone when he got attacked by a bear. From what I can tell, he's quick to believe so I wouldn't be surprised if he met many others before me and simply didn't realize it." If anything, that sounded exactly like something the blonde might have done. He unfortunately could be quite dim.

The sorcerer nodded in agreement. "It says quite a bit about the time and people," he noted. How people viewed things that required faith and belief to see said a lot about them. Nowadays, people seemed to rely a lot more upon logic and the visible, something which led immortals to view mortals negatively since such a mindset affected them negatively and was incredibly close-minded, lacking sight in what was mysterious and presumed that all the secrets of the world could be learned.

He sighed. "Unfortunately, what people think is the god thing isn't always that," he said, frowning. This war was exactly the problem. He doubted that everyone who sided with Pitch Black wanted chaos. No doubt some of them wanted something simple as well, like belief. The only problem was that life did not work like that.

love, libby
PM
^
☽ NINIANNE TAMESIS
 Posted: May 9 2018, 08:24 PM

A small, amused smile touched Ninianne's feature's at Merlin's dry tone when he mentioned Kay. She knew he and Sir Kay had never quite seen eye to eye. Perhaps the only thing the two men shared was their care and loyalty to Arthur and Camelot. When the group had traveled to take back Avalon she had learned that this second life had granted the seneschal magical abilities but they were limited. But he still was at least an example of other magical beings in the world and one that, possibly like the boy himself, was reborn into the immortal world.

However the next examples Merlin offered just further proved his earlier point about Kayden being a magnet for trouble. A serpent creature that apparently wished to eat him...and possibly a member of the Nightmare King's court at that? "It's good you were able to intervene in time," she said, her tone likely showing her concern for them both though she was relieved that it had turned out alright by the sound of it. "True," she replied when the wizard mentioned that he may have met others but may not have known it. "Many now try to keep their nature secret, especially if they had no way of realizing he was part of the magical world as well."

"It does," she agreed. Having lived long enough to watch such drastic changes in the views on magic Ninianne found it rather interesting how people shifted between being open to belief or favoring logic and reason. Though it was worth noting that belief in the supernatural never quite disappeared fully. There were always the little superstitions that lingered from times long past that, even as people laughed and dismissed, were still abided by. And then even now when technology and science nearly rivaled what magic was once believed to be capable of there were still groups of people drawn to the old ways, promoting what they called new or alternative methods that were in fact not really that new at all.

Ninianne nodded, her expression somber. She had seen for herself plenty of cases of people acting on incomplete information or genuine misunderstandings, intending with all their heart to do what was right and good yet winding up causing harm to themselves or others. "Indeed," she replied. "Something that only a willingness and effort to understand all sides of a situation can remedy. Not to mention having others who can help and advise in the best course of action."

@MERLIN
PM
^
☽ MERLIN
 Posted: May 16 2018, 10:17 PM

He nodded in agreement. "Well, it is events such as that that make me grateful that I have always been so gifted in prophecy," he admitted. It was a talent that Ninianne would be quite familiar with considering that the vision he had seen in regards to Arthur's reign had been one he had seen years before the boy king had even been conceived. Moreover, his abilities had always seemed to be sensitive and broad, something which was a sharp contrast to many of the other seers he had met in his time who often seemed to be talented in one area of the branch of magic.

He pursed his lips and nodded. "That seems to be especially true of magically talented humans, from my understanding," he noted, "Kayden was originally practicing his talents in secret when I first met him, no doubt due to the mixed views humans tend to have when it comes to magic. Moreover, I have recently that mortal sorcerers managed to become organized and secretive over the years, in possession of their own cultures and hidden lands. It is quite fascinating."

The reliance on logic and reason was one that he would never scorn. After all, Merlin was a fairly logical man for a wizard, having always believed that even magic could be understood and possessed its own logic. It merely took an individual who was willing to put in the effort to learn about it instead of cast away everything difficult as simply magic. However, he did find it a bit foolish to solely rely upon it and ignore the possibilities of anything unusual within the world. After all, life was hardly so boring to be as easily explained by the dull facts of science.

He nodded. "That is unfortunately easier said than done." Unfortunately, not everyone was always willing to compromise. Moreover, people often thought their opinion was correct and were not always willing to accept the notion that they might be incorrect. To accept such facts required virtues that some people simply did not have. In a perfect world such a goal might be achieve, but this was unfortunately quite an imperfect one.

love, libby
PM
^
☽ NINIANNE TAMESIS
 Posted: May 23 2018, 02:40 AM

Merlin's gift in prophecy was indeed familiar to Ninianne. It had played a major role in finding Arthur and establishing Camelot. The ability had warned of hazards and helped guide decisions and she could only guess at how often it had helped Merlin before they met. So she nodded in agreement with his words. "It certainly is a great help," she agreed with a smile.

Ninianne listened as Merlin explained more about his apprentice's experience previously in practicing his magic. And of mortal sorcerers in general. "It does make sense that they would be more guarded, keeping to themselves," she replied. "Accounts of the hostility magic has faced are all well known, most people who discover themselves to have it would expect to be met with skepticism at best and hatred at worst." Mortals had not always feared and lashed out at magic, there had been times when it was embraced by many mortal societies. The practitioners regarded with respect and trusted as helpers and protectors of their community. But the horrors of witch hunts and the like were recounted far more often and in modern times when magic was largely forgotten it could be expected to seem frightening and suspicious to many. "I cannot say I have seen many such societies up close but I can imagine they would be fascinating indeed." Ninianne paused a moment, gazing out thoughtfully at the forest around them as her mind wandered. "Though there are also societies of those who would still seek to eradicate magic and those tied to it," she added with a slight frown. "In my travels I've been noticing a number of what seems to be long dormant magics stirring again. Avalon's rejuvenation may be a part of it and I met a young girl who has proven to have latent magic abilities. Caerwyn and I were visiting her when we discovered the Opalescent Librarium, and although it was no match for the Librarium's own power there had been some kind of seal- somemthing meant to imprison its magic and keep other beings out."

"Believe me, I know," Ninianne sighed, thinking back on all that she had observed in her ages of serving justice. "Still, all anyone can do is try their best to work towards it and provide an example to others." Trying to understand others, particularly those considered to be opponents or outright enemies, was no easy task and perhaps one that no one could truly achieve all the time in every situation. But that was hardly a reason not to try. The effort to understand, whether successful or not, could still do more good than stubbornly clinging to prejudices and defending one's own pride. It was a quality she always hoped to see when she came upon leaders of any kind and so she knew all too well how rare it sometimes seemed to be.

@MERLIN
PM
^
☽ MERLIN
 Posted: May 28 2018, 06:30 PM

Merlin nodded in agreement before focusing on the subject of magical mortals. His brow furrowing. Unsurprisingly, it sounded as Ninianne knew more about the subject than him. After all, he was still catching up on history, a task that was proving to be quite difficult considering how long he had been unconscious. Moreover, he found himself wanting to know about not only the magical world but also the mortal world. While he had not taken to deluding himself that he could learn everything, he did not wish to be ignorant. He had lived a fair amount of his life in such a state and all it had gained him was a reputation of being a madman. A helpful and powerful one, but the point still stood.

"I cannot say I have seen them recently," he mused, "They were far different during Camelot's time, but then there was little need for such structure since the idea of hatred against magical beings was not widespread." Exactly where it had lingered was not well known to him, but he knew it had not existed within Camelot's lands even during Uther's reign. Sorcerers were beings that men had seen as helpful despite the potential for consequences of working with them. "Though, it is difficult to tell how widespread they are. Mortal wizards and witches were not particularly common even in the past in comparison to other beings." Exactly why was difficult to say, but then Merlin could not say he had interacted with many other sorcerers, particularly mortal ones. The question was an interesting one that he would not mind looking into though.

His brow furrowed. "That is concerning," he said, lips curling into a frown, "Do you think there are many in number? After all, humans tend to only believe in magic when it is tied to religion or among the few who have a fair amount of belief." It required a certain amount of belief that society did not always approve of, especially considering the fact that many beings that required belief were considered little more than myths or fairy tales, leaving them open to only being believed in by the open-minded or children.

The mention of dormant magics stirring was of particular interest. His brow furrowed and he considered the matter. "It could be an effect of the war," he admitted after a moment, "The Easter Bunny mentioned that Pitch Black's existence had to do with the universe attempting to right things, no? Placing a source of evil or darkness after people had attempted to wipe it out?" It was an explanation he was inclined to believe far more than the others that had been offered. He could understand the ideal of ridding the world of evil. In many respects, it was an idea similar to what he and Ninianne had wanted- a world where the petty nature of corrupt kings did not reign. However, he also knew that it would be incredibly dangerous to try and achieve what Camelot had sought to be by riding the world of darkness. Playing God...that was something that would only lead to disaster and it was clear it had. "Thus far, the war has undoubtedly been doing some damage, such as what with happened to Avalon. This could be...less of an attempt to balance things but more of a reaction? A bit like when you spill hot water on someone."

He shrugged. "Admittedly, someone older or more experienced than myself might know better," he said, lips curving into a smile, "If not among the Guardians, there may be more neutral beings with knowledge in the area if you are truly curious." He frowned. "Though, I cannot say how likely they are to want to do so." After all, placing oneself in a war naturally not only made enemies but also made people wanting to keep away unwilling to converse.

He nodded in agreement. It was unfortunately easier said than done, particularly since it seemed to be difficult to even find some hint of compromise in regards to this war. While he understood what was being argued, he did wish that it could be a matter that did not have to be fought for. After all, he had no doubt that many of those who fought for Pitch did not fight for the same reason as them, seeing this more as a war to be won. He only wondered what the consequence of winning on their part would be and if they even realized there might be. After all, every war had consequences and this seemed to be one with far bigger ones.

love, libby
PM
^
☽ NINIANNE TAMESIS
 Posted: Jun 2 2018, 01:55 AM

Ninianne nodded at Merlin's words. Attitudes toward magic had indeed changed over the years and even between different cultures those attitudes had followed different patterns. She knew that it must be a great deal for Merlin, even with his great capacity for understanding and study, to catch up on after so many ages trapped away from the world. Honestly it had sometimes seemed a bit much to follow for her who had it happening before her very eyes. So she would try to help him at least get a sense of what the situation was currently- as well as she knew it herself anyway.

"For now I've only seen the evidence of their existence," Ninianne replied when he asked if she knew the number of those organizations opposed to magic. "So I cannot say what their numbers might be. To have been capable of building the chamber we found would have taken considerable resources so they may at least have been numerous at one time. But to have gone unnoticed so effectively seems as if it would be easier for a small, tight knit group." The mere existence of people who might be driven by the assumption that magic was evil was concerning enough. Ninianne saw no harm in mortals who were aware seeking to defend themselves or take precautions against malevolent magics but to organize against all magic could lead to immortals who were entirely innocent and never intended to do harm to others being targeted.

She listened to his thoughts on the matter of dormant magic awakening and gave a nod of agreement. "I think you are right," she replied. "Even with balance being our goal every time there is a clash of light and dark there will be upheaval. I suppose it is to be expected that such upheaval, especially becoming more frequent now, would have side ripples across both the magic and mortal communities." In some ways, humans and beings of magic seemed separate and independent of one another. The fae had their secret and hidden homes, creatures avoided humans, and as belief faded they became even harder for humans to perceive. But the veils between them were in fact far thinner than they might seem at first glance. Nothing happened in either sphere without some side effects being felt on the other. And as of late there had been a great deal of fighting and stirring up of magic.

Ninianne could not help a small smile at the mention of someone older or more experienced. "For the likes of us 'older' is becoming a rather narrow category," she pointed out. She knew full well that there were beings who had walked the earth- some of whom actually predated it- out there. The survivors of the Golden Age and deities of course, ancient fae and surely other types of beings. But most of them either were already allied to one side or the other or had quite deliberately been keeping out of it. "And those choosing to remain uninvolved likely have their reasons." The Lady of the Lake had always believed that those with power should use it to do good in the world. But good came in many forms. It could be in the Guardian's work, protecting the important parts of childhood when it was threatened and guiding children in times of peace. But it could also be in simply tending to the shifting cycles of the world or watching over other realms. So she would not judge those who felt that their duty lay outside of this particular conflict even if it was becoming a far more widespread one than it had in the past. Ninianne was grateful to any who chose to help the Guardian's cause- their true cause of preserving the balance- but she did not believe it would be right to drag someone in against their wishes.

@MERLIN
PM
^
☽ MERLIN
 Posted: Jun 2 2018, 09:35 PM

Taking in Ninianne's explanation, Merlin rolled around the information within his mind. What she was describing appeared to be a contradiction. After all, there were few ways that a small group of individuals could come to gather a large amount of resources to his knowledge, though he knew doing so in this era was far easier than it had been in the past. A small group could easily be far more powerful than it had been in the past. "It is not entirely surprising," he finally said, "People often fear what they do not understand and sometimes even with the knowledge of what something is they are still prone to fear in the face of what appears to be greater than themselves. After all, it is easy to label something dangerous." Shaking his head, he shifted the subject slightly. "Nonetheless, it is possible that those involved held strong connections. Alternatively, it could be part of something bigger." Truth be told, it was hard to say when one lacked so much information and did not attempt to look into the matter further.

He nodded, a frown crossing his face. "I only hope that such effects are not too dire," he said, "After all, we are defending against an enemy who views this as a war to win. Their actions will undoubtedly have consequences." To some extent, he supposed their own might as well, but it was hard to say how they would outside of their losses and the, as far as he was concerned, somewhat unnatural tendency for Guardians to sometimes be beings who were pulled back from death. After all, the Guardians- or at least the eldest of them- seemed adamant on keeping a defensive stance, something which he was unsure about.

His lips quirked upwards. "That depends on your definition of old," he admitted. After all, he was quite old, far older than even some fae could claim and certainly older than the average half-fae. It was not beyond his knowledge that there were likely many other immortals who others would likely consider old that were within his own age range. "I have no doubt that there are some immortals whose age goes beyond what some would imagine, though a fair amount of them are undoubtedly among those who chose to keep neutral." After all, not many involved within the war seemed to hold an age that he personally found impressive. No doubt beings who were far more connected with the being of the universe thought it better to keep out of the war. After all, there were just as many reasons to keep away as there were to get involved.

"I have no doubt," the sorcerer said, "No matter what anyone says, war never truly benefits anyone. There are always consequences, in the end. Considering what has been said and how things are going thus far I can imagine several reasons why people would attempt to avoid it." Whether they were true or not was an entirely different matter. After all, everyone had their own reasons.

After a moment, he shook his head. "I apologize," Merlin said, "I meant to come to talk to you as a friend and we are talking about our duties." It did not escape his notice that he had managed to do exactly the opposite of what he had wanted to do. While he had wanted to talk to Ninianne about some serious matters, it appeared as though the conversation had turned into only being about that. He was not sure when he had stopped talking about lighter and carefree subjects; he certainly did not recall doing this as often as he had in the past. While serious subjects had been part of their many conversations, it had never monopolized what he had said. "I seem to be doing that often," he said, an apologetic smile coming to his face.

love, libby
PM
^
☽ NINIANNE TAMESIS
 Posted: Jun 9 2018, 10:06 PM

Ninianne nodded at Merlin's words. History was full of conflicts and hurts that had come of people simply not understanding something and lashing out in their fear. It was a familiar pattern but still a cause for at least some concern. Especially with the war causing magic to be awoken in bloodlines that had long forgotten their inheritance or places where it simply was not expected. "For now I think too much is still unknown to be sure of numbers or organization," she replied. "Something to be aware of and look into perhaps but it seems too soon to be certain of anything."

"I'm afraid the bolder our enemies grow the more severe and noticeable the consequences will be," Ninianne admitted. As Merlin said, war never really benefited anyone- even when it was fought to defend an ideal or protect those who were more vulnerable it still demanded sacrifices. War always came with a cost, sometimes doing the right thing was more important than whatever it might cost an individual but it was a price nonetheless. "Which is why maintaining the balance and being prepared to repair the damage done is so important." The Guardians were tasked with keeping the Court of Shadows in check, if they were determined to tip the balance someone had to stand up to stop them from pushing the darkness too far. And unfortunately even if the Guardians succeeded in doing that damage could still be done. Just by trying to stir up trouble they could create ripples that caused damage and the Guardians had to do what they could to repair that damage in addition to stopping the plans to cause it.

She gave an understanding smile as Merlin pointed out that they had ventured into a rather somber topic for friends who had just meant to catch up. "Well, you're not alone in that tendency," she replied. "The war has become a near constant shadow over all who are involved what with so many clashes happening. And...it seems strange but sometimes I almost feel as if focusing on duty is somehow easier to focus on," she admitted. "But you're right, we should enjoy a moment's peace when it comes, especially when shared with a friend."

@MERLIN
PM
^
☽ MERLIN
 Posted: Jun 10 2018, 07:29 PM

Merlin nodded in agreement. Ninianne's words made sense. While the matter was undoubtedly something to keep an eye on, it was too soon to know of anything. Moreover, there was also the fact that there were so many things happening as of late and needed to be handled. Part of him was annoyed by the fact as it would simply be easier to deal with things if the Guardians were far more organized. However, they were not and it was difficult to say how long it would take to organize them. So many things needed to be done in order for them to be organized.

"That is undoubtedly true," he agreed, "I only worry as to how bold they might grow." The Nightmare King had already proven that he was willing to recruit individuals who possessed little in the way of morals and reached farther than they should, whether in terms of morals or in terms of what they should be in their own natural ranks. What had happened in Centralia was an excellent example of this.

Ninianne had a point. It could be hard to focus on anything outside of the war considering how much it was beginning to monopolize their lives. However, he felt his heart clench a bit at being called a friend. He tried not to focus on it. He was okay with it; he swore he was. It was a lie he was trying to convince himself of, one which only slipped when he was presented in situations when the idea that the Lady of the Lake might actually have the opportunity to like someone else was tested. Yet, he seemed to be wholly incapable of admitting his feelings.

"That might be a bit difficult," he said, shoving the complications of his feelings to the back of his mind, "I'm afraid the time I spent locked away might have left me unable to recall how to." Nevermind that he had seemed to have awoken into another war. It was hard to remember how to stop and enjoy peace for a moment.

love, libby
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

TAGBOX

AFFILIATES

skinned exclusively by lauz.