Add Reply
New Poll

Overdue Books, L'ANCIAN
❂ ALEXEI PENDLETON
 Posted: Oct 14 2017, 03:33 AM
18 • Human • Knowledge • NYU

Alexei couldn’t believe his eyes. The book cases towered over him with books so diverse they seemed to touch upon whole epochs of human history. He could smell the intoxicating aged book aroma when he walked down the halls. Alexei felt he could realistically spend a whole eternity here and still not have scratched the surface of the collection. Alexei wasn’t here to read on random topics and discussions, but rather he was set on expanding his knowledge of magics beyond those of his alchemy and psychokinesis. He felt that there was more to learn and unlock. There were a plethora of place to start, what was his center, what type of magic was he more fit for, how he could he do this in modern London and New York, etc.

Alexei walked down the aisle where the books started to get …weird. There was something about them that was off and there were some with moving words. Others had certain feels about them, a few had a feeling of tranquility, while others had a feelings of danger possibly even seduction. “I’ve seen too much Star Wars to know what this is.” He said to himself, opting for a book not giving off an aura. Instead he went for one over summoning and banishing. He flipped through the pages wondered if it was even a good idea to attempt this.

L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
PM
^
✧ L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 04:21 PM
Ancient • Caprician Celestial • Inquisitivity • Netherlands

Of eyes that see things much too far...
L’Ancian had been here many times before, a good majority of these books, especially in this section, read and re-read by her very eyes. There were even those that she had written herself under the guise of Leona Vandermeer. Anyone who knew the name from the human world would understand, upon seeing the name in this very Librarium and what her words taught, how she may have been writing for such a very long time.

She drifted through the stretching aisles of bookcases, wanting to discover something new. As old as L’Ancian was, and how hungry for knowledge, she was finding it increasingly difficult to find things not said between two covers. Ah, yes, she knew of portals, of planes walking, and she knew of casting fire, and brewing potions. None of this was new. What was new, however, was the young mind before her. Though he stood tall, he did not seem to do so with confidence. She tilted her head and floated forward, her eyes stuck upon him, feeling his curiousity and, still yet, hesitance.

There was no sound as she approached, just a looming sense of dread in Alexei, as if there was someone watching him. Before he was able to look up, she stood behind him.

“What is it you search for, little one?” she murmured, her voice hushed within the confines of these walls, yet powerful, overbearing. They were there, and there was no mistaking what she had said. Yet, someone in the next aisle may never had heard.
BY MITZI

ALEXEI PENDLETON
PM
^
❂ ALEXEI PENDLETON
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 09:01 PM

His eyes glanced over the pages of the book. The pages weathered and yellowed over time, and the writing itself was dulled. He wondered how the book was able to stay bound in such a condition, the binding looked uncharacteristically strong. Perhaps an enchantment was on the book to keep it in such a condition, or the Librarium had a superb librarian. Alexei's eyes looked over the arcane symbols and images. There were multiples ways for summoning: glyphs, offerings, invocations, portals, etc. He read over, but he wonder which way was a simpler way for, his mind working fast wondering if there was a faster, yet just as safe way. Invocation had drawn his attention, his eyes scanned the paragraph on the power of words and drawing on other sources of magic. Two skills he actually liked having both his telekinesis and alchemy performed silently from his natural magical energies.

His mind pondered these queries, but sound of a feminine voice broke his concentration. He cranked his head to see a mysterious woman. Almost seeing…well he wasn't sure. The hairs of his neck stood on end at her sudden appearance. Had to be the way most of the magical world operated he swore. "Just reading a book on summoning…" he said with a tinge of apprehension. The library was a peaceful place, but there was always reason to be on guard, you never knew what type of person you'd run into. He wasn't involved in the guardian ware or was he a particularly interesting target in his mind, though it was always a good idea to watch out for any tricksters.

L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
PM
^
✧ L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
 Posted: Jan 4 2018, 04:23 PM

"Oh, little one," she hummed softly. Her head tilted at she drifted forward, for a moment looking as if she was about phase through him. At the last moment, she slipped to the side, towards the bookcase. "That book is rather complex," L'Ancian informed. Her long, elegant finger drifting over the spines of the tomes before her. She read the titles, her lips moving with the words as she looked for a specific book. Finally, her finger ran the length of a spine, to the top, and pulled it from it's place in the shelf. It lifted from her hand, floating towards Alexei and a smile came upon her face. "Give this one a read," she said, lowering her hand to clasp them in front of her.

"What is it you are looking to summon?" L'Ancian tilted her head once again with the inquiry. She knew of summoning, though did not do much on her own. It could be rather dangerous, if not done correctly. Her eyes narrowed, looking the boy up and down. He seemed rather young to be searching out such complex magic, especially considering what could be done with summoning. She tried not to shudder at the abysmal horrors she had seen located on other planes. To imagine those on this planet she called home...

"I hope nothing too large?" She tried to distract her mind with conversation, feeling her heartbeat quicken with the thoughts passing through her mind. The book she offered to him held no such knowledge of those creatures she feared, so if he took to it, that would ease her.

BY MITZI

ALEXEI PENDLETON
PM
^
❂ ALEXEI PENDLETON
 Posted: Jan 4 2018, 10:46 PM

"Call me Alexei, what's your name? It's hard to meet other to talk about preternatural or supernatural." He said to the odd woman. They should at least be on a first name basis if they were going to talk magical theory. Douglas told him, people who came to the library were there for peaceful studies. So being here with ill intent had to have some sort of safeguard he assumed. Remember that fact put Alexei a bit at east around the paled skinned woman. After all he would be calling the kettle black if he was put off by her awkwardness. "Thank you." He caught the book she guided toward him in one hand; Alexei used this other hand to direct his other nearby table having them float gently down.

"I would start with something simple like an inanimate object then work my way up from there. Organism wise, I think I would go with a little friend I have back at my house in London." He said half way answering her question and halfway musing to himself. He would have to read upon and try it. There were some magic he lacked talent in such as illusions and wards, but there were some where he had a natural affinity for it, e.g. telekinesis and alchemy. It was a nice way to find a starting point in his journey and go from there. Having the skills of conjuration could greatly help his studies. His eyes looked over the theories trying to wrap his head around practically doing this.

He paused a moment and looked up, it appears if she dwelt on something in the quickest of moments. His eyes quickly went back to the text detail the basics of summoning. He was a speed reader, always able to take in and understand new information quickly. He read the summarized definition, "'Displace something between space or even planes of existence to your location.' Sounds like a large undertaking, but I am starting to get the idea of the mechanics." He said as he looked up to his new friend, before shoving his nose back in to the book.

L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
PM
^
✧ L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
 Posted: Feb 26 2018, 03:03 AM

“You may call me Leona,” she introduced herself with a slow bow of her head.

L'Ancian watched at the book floated away, onto the stack of his other books. Disappointment flushed over her, knowing that such opportunities on those pages would tempt him less when compared to the others he had. She did not wish to see this boy consumed by the planes. Of course, she hadn't seen someone consumed by the planes before, but she hadn't seen someone so young even attempt planes walking, or at least the beginnings of planes walking. Her old mentor, Illetor, had been quite the master of it after he became one of the Council men on Capricorn. Many members of the council knew how the planes walk, but they knew the dangers, and they had the wisdom of age instead of the hubris of youth.

“Little friend?” L'Ancian asked, a tilt of her head. That did not sound promising. Her policy had always been that if a living organism is to participate in your magic dealings, that they be willing. This, of course, excluded those whom attacked you. Magic could be used in a defensive manner, but L'Ancian only used it to make an escape, never to truly wound or damage. Either case, she did not like the sound of his suggestion, but tried not to think worse of him before gaining more information about it.

L'Ancian peered down at the book in his hands. She had read it herself before, studied the mechanics, but never tried it.

She placed a long pale finger on the page to point to a specific passage before saying, “This is of the utmost importance. It seems insignificant, but it could garner disastrous results if forgotten.” Her finger slide off the page. “I know of the school of magic you are wishing to learn. Would you allow me to oversee your studies and assist you in them? I have yet to do these magics practically.”

BY MITZI

ALEXEI PENDLETON
PM
^
❂ ALEXEI PENDLETON
 Posted: Mar 7 2018, 06:33 PM

"Pleasure to meet you Leona. I like that name, it reminds me of the author." That name sounded familiar, it reminded him of the illusive author who little was known about, but their writing was beautifully written and enthralling. It reminded him his time in school and recent undertaking of the mystic arts, has left his time for pleasure reading to be lacking. Come to think of it, his family had sent the latest book as a gift for his grades last semester, but he has been more interested in readings of historians, scientist, and ancient magicians.

"I thought that practice summon on our plane would be safer and more easily to work with. I have a magic friend in London who would mind being pulled a few hundred miles to see me or test out the conjuration discipline. Though I think summoning a notebook across a room is a better starting point." Alexei would be sure to read up on the practice. He was already cracking open the book, and his eyes already scanning the page. He didn't mean to be rude to Leona, but there was a book that needed to be read in his presence and he was happy to oblige. He could see how this could be extrapolated to traversing the realms yourself. He wondered how many different pockets of realities existed. If the gods of death each had their own realms, could there be other beings with realms. Possibly even worlds with different types of life and magics. It was a very tempting position to work towards.

His eyes read the passage on the important notes of the school. There was a few simple principles to always remember no matter how complex the spell got, but he could see someone forgetting these preparations. Following the passage were warnings and went over the unfortunate consequences to those who disregarded the basic principles of this discipline. His eyes widened a bit at some of the possibilities. "That would be excellent actually. You must have some much wisdom in this field of study. Where did you learn?" He wouldn't turn down a chance to learn more about magic. He wondered if she was like him, Leona being a witch of sorts.

L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
PM
^
✧ L'ANCIAN MOR-ILLETOR
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 08:25 PM

“If it is Leona Vandermeer of whom you speak, we are one in the same,” L’Ancian informed him with a gentle bow. “I am honoured my authorship has fallen on the ears of not only the average youth, but of the students in the schools of magic, as well.” She smiled and looked away a bit sheepishly, tucking fair hair behind her ear with a delicate motion. She had known of the popularity her novels had in the human world, but they never seemed to strike upon any sort of traction in the magical world. It was a shame, considering the series’ roots in reality.

Her eyes drifted back to his movement as he flipped the book open and began scouring the pages for hidden knowledge. A fond smile graced her lips as she watched his feverish dive into a vast new world. It reminded her of her own youth, before knowledge had become dwindling, when there was plenty to feed her aching mind. How she wished the world was so open to her once more, that she didn’t have to dive into the darkest depths of the ocean to find something she didn’t know. It was romantic, the way new knowledge was at his beck and call at this age. It was possible he would never know this starvation L’Ancian felt. This boy’s life was, as most human life, fleeting. There was only so much time he could reasonably use to know everything, and even in that time he would hardly graze the surface. How melancholy is was to live a whole life and never truly know everything.

“It is best to work on inanimate before animate, as with all magicks,” L’Ancian hummed in response and tilted her head to the side. She drifted away, towards the stack of books he’d prepared for himself. Her hands draped over the spines, lifting them one by one, stroking their find leather, or wrapped chipboard covers, reading through the authors. Many of the books were advanced, nothing he should pick up now, but she doubted she could suggest he not, it would only make a student with his disposition even more curious. That was how devastating mistakes were made. Illetor had always taught her to nurture whatever curiosities she may have, as see them throughl.

The smiled on her face only grew as she recalled Illetor, the center of her chest warming as if she held a freshly poured cup of tea to it. “I learned from a mentor wiser than even myself,” L’Ancian responded. She opened a book and began leafing through the old pages, treating it delicately, respecting it. “He was not entirely of this world. He was a master of planes walking, especially later in life. It was not the field of magic I pursued, but because of his tutelage, I know much of it. I studied the school of transmutation, specializing in self-transmutation. Such magics are innate abilities for me, so it was as simple as honing the power to perfect it, then I moved on to many other schools. Now, I mostly teach magic to those whom are willing to learn, but teaching has always been a companion of learning, so I do find myself sometimes a student of my own pupil.” She chuckled lightly, the notion amusing her, despite how she knew that at times she’d taught Illetor as much as he taught her.

BY MITZI

@ALEXEI PENDLETON
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

TAGBOX

AFFILIATES

skinned exclusively by lauz.